|
osdir.com mailing list archive F.A.Q. -since 2001! |
|
|
|
Date: Prev Next Date Index Thread: Prev Next Thread Index
Website Performance Monitoring Hi,
In message "question about Ruby initial development" on 02/08/28, Griff <griffph@xxxxxxx> writes: | Somewhere in the Ruby FAQ it says that Ruby is developed on Linux |using 'C'. Does anybody know which distribution of Linux was/is used |for doing this, (a) in the original stages of development and (b) more |recently ? (a) I started the development of Ruby on Sony NEWS-OS 3.x (it is a BSD flavored UNIX). Then moved to SunOS 4.x and Linux. My first Linux was SLS Linux, when kernel version was somewhere around 0.99. (b) I'm currently using Debian/GNU Linux (sid). | Also, presumably some Linux distributions are more compatible with |Ruby than others ? (eg does anyone run Ruby on Slackware ?) - any |guidance on this would be gratefully received. If you use Debian, you almost never need to compile major Ruby related programs. They come as packages. Thanks to the maintainers, especially Akira Yamada. But most of UNIX compatible OSes are as compatible as Debian, if you compile programs by yourself. matz.
Thread at a glance:
Previous Message by Date:Re: Why Ruby Uses Mark-and-Sweep GC?Hi Matz, Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think NArray is different, because it is a collection of "objects" that can be represented as native data types in C (such as int and double). When the objects are really Ruby objects, I still cannot see an easy way to handle them as a collection. In my case, the user creates certain Ruby objects with explicit commands and these objects exist until the end of the process, unless the user destroys them with explicit commands. I store these objects in a global rb_ary (and therefore automatically marked). Therefore, because I know when these objects are created and destroyed explicitly, I want them not to participate in the mark and sweep GC. I think I just need valid Ruby objects (valid VALUE's) that the user can interact with, but the creation and deletion of these VALUE's are not under the control of Ruby GC. Will creating a second "RVALUE **heaps" such as that in gc.c be a good idea? (Isn't that fundamentally the object model is orthogonal to how the object memory is managed?) If we indeed can create VALUE's which are not under the control of Ruby GC, then I think we really can use Ruby in real-time programming (subject to certain restrictions on the user's Ruby script, of course), as the number of objects that need to be marked can be made much smaller (and therefore the marking phase will not take as much time) and be made relatively independent of the actual number of "Ruby objects" in the system (not order N anymore). Regards, Bill ============================================================================ Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I think what you want is contradicting with mark&sweep GC, which Ruby > uses you know. If you want to have objects out of GC sweep, you have > to define something handle "these objects" as a collection. See > NArray for example. > matz. Next Message by Date:Re: Temporary VALUE Needs to Be Protected?Thanks for all the information. This was not too obvious to me by looking at gc.c. Regards, Bill ========================================================================== Christian Szegedy <szegedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > The Ruby garbage collector scans the used part of the stack, > and registers all addresses found there. This may be too much, > but it does not matter. (That was matzs commment about the > "conservativness of the gc") Previous Message by Thread:Re: question about Ruby initial developmentI use Ruby on Red Hat, Debian, SuSE and Slackware currently, and have had no difficulty with Ruby on any of them. Slackware doesn't come with Ruby, and SuSE had an outdated version last I checked. Debian has a recent version, but last time I did a complete install with mod_ruby and eruby, it configured it in such a way that eruby wasn't taking advantage of mod_ruby. So, I compile it all myself now, and everything works very well, even when passing different prefixes to 'configure' or using something like Stow. I think you'll find that Ruby is pretty well behaved, and if you check out Triple-R you'll see that it is a well-tested language also, so you can see for yourself what platforms it is failing on and which versions are stable. Most ruby modules and classes you will download have a standard way of determining where Ruby is installed and where local site libraries should go, so once Ruby is installed everything else should 'just work'. There is so much talk about standards for Linux for directory structures and installation tools and whatnot, but ever since the advent of autoconf it hasn't really mattered, at least to someone who prefers compiling. --gabriel Griff wrote: > > Also, presumably some Linux distributions are more compatible with > Ruby than others ? (eg does anyone run Ruby on Slackware ?) - any > guidance on this would be gratefully received. Next Message by Thread:ruby under winMEHi! Is it possible to use ruby under winME? After upgrading from windows 98 to winME, I cannot start ruby, a message box telling me about an error in mswin32-ruby16.dll, but no details :( 1.6.7-1 (one-click installer), also the 1.7.2 version mswin32-ruby17.dll Gergo +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+ | Email: kgergely@xxxxxx, kgergely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | | URL: turul.eet.bme.hu/~kgergely Mobile: (+36 20) 356 9656 | +-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+ . Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net
|
|