When trying to copy a file in Solaris 8 it doesnt copy file or give a error. This worked 100% until the 29th. I've checked the rights and everything seems fine:

drwxrwxrwx   2 bmuser   bmgroup    11776 Jan  3 10:32 spool

This is the file I want to copy:

-rwxrwxrwx   1 bmuser   bmgroup   390474 Jan  3 10:32 lst01d.dat

I excecute the command like this:

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/lst01d.dat /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls -l sol*
sol*: No such file or directory
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>

Am I maybe doing something wrong?

What else can I check for?

This happens to any file in the directory I try to copy.

could it be a space issue?

df -k .

Space looks fine:

/bmunix>df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0    6410583 1343170 5003308    22%    /
/proc                      0       0       0     0%    /proc
fd                         0       0       0     0%    /dev/fd
mnttab                     0       0       0     0%    /etc/mnttab
swap                  881920       0  881920     0%    /var/run
swap                  882240     320  881920     1%    /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7    8705501 2472601 6145845    29%    /bmunix
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7    1750028       9 1697519     1%    /export/home

What about the inodes?

df -i

df -i doesn't seem to work

/bmunix>df -i
df: unknown option: i
Usage: df [-F FSType] [-abegklntVv] [-o FSType-specific_options] [directory | block_device | resource]

try to see files using
ls -l sol\*

Yes, I'm sorry:

df -e

Try also an "echo $?" just after the cp command.

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls -l sol\*
sol*: No such file or directory
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>df -e
Filesystem              ifree
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0      737732
/proc                     936
fd                          0
mnttab                      0
swap                    54499
swap                    54499
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7     1038093
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7      427388
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/lst01d.dat /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>echo $
$

Seems OK...
What about:

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/lst01d.dat /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>echo $?

Is there any continuous clean-up process cleaning the files on a specific directory? Could you please check that.
If that is the case, what ever be the number of times you copy the file, that wont be available.

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/lst01d.dat /bmunix/da
ta/branch00/spool/solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>echo $?
0
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>

Anything in particular I should look for?

mmmm...

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool> find . -name 'sol*' -ls

:slight_smile:

That should cleanup scripts/process :slight_smile:

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/lst01d.dat /bmunix/data/branch00/spool/solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>echo $?
0
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>find . -name 'sol*' -ls
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>

Nothing.

Can't find any clean up scripts as well.

first check whether the folder has any attributes set among using getfacl , lsattr, or the owner of the file
this case generally observed when we are working with temp group using the newgrp command
the file create under this may not work properly, kindly check it

/bmunix/data/branch00>getfacl -d spool

# file: spool
# owner: bmuser
# group: bmgroup
/bmunix/data/branch00>getfacl -a spool

# file: spool
# owner: bmuser
# group: bmgroup
user::rwx
group::rwx              #effective:rwx
mask:rwx
other:rwx
/bmunix/data/branch00>

do one thing try to use dd command to check whether is redirecting or not
dd if=/file of=/file bs=4
or
it its working then the problem with cp binary

/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls sol*
sol*: No such file or directory
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cp lst01d.dat solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls sol
sol: No such file or directory
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>dd if=lst01d.dat of=solstc.dat bs=4
97618+1 records in
97618+1 records out
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls solstc.dat
solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>rm solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>cat lst01d.dat > solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>ls -l solstc.dat
-rw-r--r--   1 bmuser   bmgroup   390474 Jan  4 08:44 solstc.dat
/bmunix/data/branch00/spool>

It creates the file using the two commands you jyst gave me, but cp doesn't work.