Skip to main content
barnaclebill22 u/barnaclebill22 avatar

barnaclebill22

u/barnaclebill22

Feed options
Hot
New
Top
View
Card
Compact

app notifications
Image
r/expo
app notifications

New to Expo...is it feasible to reliably get notifications (either IOS or Android or both) for an app that's not always running?
TLDR: ESP32 gadget checks some sensors and serves an api. Expo app, when it's running, hits the API and creates a notification when sensor condition occurs. But I only need to check once a day and I don't want the app to be in foreground all the time. I'm trying to use Android WorkManager (and BGTaskScheduler) but I'm not getting notifications reliably, even when the sensor condition triggers. If I pull up the app, that's when I get the notification.
Focusing on Android: how reliable is WorkManager for background tasks? I've checked all the boxes re: power saving mode, etc.
Is there a different technique I'm not aware of?

Most commercial gadgets seem to require an Internet connection of some kind (to e.g. AWS IOT or Firebase CM). I'm ok with my device needing to be on the same LAN as the phone, but that's just for the sensor check and it's independent of the notification. I want to keep it simple and not require a cloud connection. AI tells me FCM is more reliable, but I don't want either the cloud or the extra configuration on the gadget (ESP32 can do SSL, but it's a lot of work for a tiny MCU). It doesn't matter to me if the notification doesn't trigger because phone and gadget are not on the same LAN (i.e., when I'm not home)...OK if it triggers once my phone comes back onto my home wifi.


How did you run a network scan? Either you have your own wifi router in the apartment (in which case the device would not show up) or you're on a building-wide network (in which case you normally wouldn't be able to see any other devices). Even if somebody "forgot" to configure isolation on a public wifi, you still can't see where the camera is connecting.


True, specific language matters less now, but code generation is still stochastic and compute-intensive, so compilers will probably be with us for a long time.


+1 I've towed 2200 lbs with my 2015 Highlander and it feels like a lot of weight. Trailer brakes and a brake controller would help but only downhill.


I bolted one to my bumper and it bent from the rack. No bikes. Gotta be on the frame as well like this guy's.


Same for me last week, and turning on/off airplane mode didn't do anything, but after all settings were correct I rebooted the phone and it was able to roam.


Internet says your lwl is a bit over 6 meters so your hull speed will be under 5 kts. Also says your displacement is 2240 kgs which is fairly heavy for that motor. FWIW, I had an 8HP 2 stroke on a 1650kg boat (9.5M) and it pushed the boat at hull speed (around 7 kts). Most OBs will not have a prop optimized for sail displacement. Does it have 4 blades? If 3 then it's unlikely to be a sail prop. Also, 2 strokes age differently than 4 strokes and lose power as they get older, until a rebuild. Find someone with a compression tester or buy one... they are inexpensive.


Suggestion: find a github repo specifically for the larger screen. Copy it to the same folder as your fork of the other project. Open your coding tool and point it at the folder containing both. Also copy/paste the link to the waveshare wiki page for the new display (assuming it's also waveshare). If you want to learn instead of having the agent do it all, ask questions like "explain what this code block does".